What do Adhesive Bonding Machine Operators and Tenders do?
Operate or tend bonding machines that use adhesives to join items for further processing or to form a completed product. Processes include joining veneer sheets into plywood; gluing paper; or joining rubber and rubberized fabric parts, plastic, simulated leather, or other materials.
- Examine and measure completed materials or products to verify conformance to specifications, using measuring devices such as tape measures, gauges, or calipers.
- Adjust machine components according to specifications such as widths, lengths, and thickness of materials and amounts of glue, cement, or adhesive required.
- Monitor machine operations to detect malfunctions; report or resolve problems.
- Read work orders and communicate with coworkers in order to determine machine and equipment settings and adjustments, and supply and product specifications.
- Fill machines with glue, cement, or adhesives.
- Mount or load material such as paper, plastic, wood, or rubber in feeding mechanisms of cementing or gluing machines.
- Maintain production records such as quantities, dimensions, and thicknesses of materials processed.
- Start machines, and turn valves or move controls to feed, admit, apply, or transfer materials and adhesives, and to adjust temperature, pressure, and time settings.
- Perform test production runs and make adjustments as necessary to ensure that completed products meet standards and specifications.
- Remove jammed materials from machines and readjust components as necessary to resume normal operations.
- Align and position materials being joined in order to ensure accurate application of adhesive or heat sealing.
- Observe gauges, meters, and control panels to obtain information about equipment temperatures and pressures, or the speed of feeders or conveyors.
- Remove and stack completed materials or products, and restock materials to be joined.
- Clean and maintain gluing and cementing machines, using solutions, lubricants, brushes, and scrapers.
- Transport materials, supplies, and finished products between storage and work areas, using forklifts.
- Measure and mix ingredients to prepare glue.
- Depress pedals to lower electrodes that heat and seal edges of material.
Related Jobs (Adhesive Bonding Machine Operators and Tenders)