What do Bus Drivers, Transit and Intercity do?
Drive bus or motor coach, including regular route operations, charters, and private carriage. May assist passengers with baggage. May collect fares or tickets.
- Drive vehicles over specified routes or to specified destinations according to time schedules, complying with traffic regulations to ensure that passengers have a smooth and safe ride.
- Park vehicles at loading areas so that passengers can board.
- Advise passengers to be seated and orderly while on vehicles.
- Inspect vehicles, and check gas, oil, and water levels prior to departure.
- Assist passengers, such as elderly or disabled individuals, on and off bus, ensure they are seated properly, help carry baggage, and answer questions about bus schedules or routes.
- Handle passenger emergencies or disruptions.
- Record information, such as cash receipts and ticket fares, and maintain log book.
- Collect tickets or cash fares from passengers.
- Regulate heating, lighting, and ventilating systems for passenger comfort.
- Report delays or accidents.
- Maintain cleanliness of bus or motor coach.
- Load and unload baggage in baggage compartments.
- Make minor repairs to vehicle and change tires.
Related Jobs (Bus Drivers, Transit and Intercity)