What do Crane and Tower Operators do?
Operate mechanical boom and cable or tower and cable equipment to lift and move materials, machines, or products in many directions.
- Determine load weights and check them against lifting capacities to prevent overload.
- Move levers, depress foot pedals, or turn dials to operate cranes, cherry pickers, electromagnets, or other moving equipment for lifting, moving, or placing loads.
- Inspect cables or grappling devices for wear and install or replace cables, as needed.
- Clean, lubricate, and maintain mechanisms such as cables, pulleys, or grappling devices, making repairs as necessary.
- Inspect and adjust crane mechanisms or lifting accessories to prevent malfunctions or damage.
- Direct helpers engaged in placing blocking or outrigging under cranes.
- Load or unload bundles from trucks or move containers to storage bins, using moving equipment.
- Weigh bundles, using floor scales, and record weights for company records.
- Review daily work or delivery schedules to determine orders, sequences of deliveries, or special loading instructions.
- Direct truck drivers backing vehicles into loading bays and cover, uncover, or secure loads for delivery.
- Inspect bundle packaging for conformance to regulations or customer requirements and remove and batch packaging tickets.
Related Jobs (Crane and Tower Operators)