What do Freight and Cargo Inspectors do?
Inspect the handling, storage, and stowing of freight and cargoes.
- Prepare and submit reports after completion of freight shipments.
- Inspect shipments to ensure that freight is securely braced and blocked.
- Record details about freight conditions, handling of freight, and any problems encountered.
- Advise crews in techniques of stowing dangerous and heavy cargo.
- Observe loading of freight to ensure that crews comply with procedures.
- Recommend remedial procedures to correct any violations found during inspections.
- Inspect loaded cargo, cargo lashed to decks or in storage facilities, and cargo handling devices to determine compliance with health and safety regulations and need for maintenance.
- Measure ships' holds and depths of fuel and water in tanks, using sounding lines and tape measures.
- Notify workers of any special treatment required for shipments.
- Direct crews to reload freight or to insert additional bracing or packing as necessary.
- Check temperatures and humidities of shipping and storage areas to ensure that they are at appropriate levels to protect cargo.
- Determine cargo transportation capabilities by reading documents that set forth cargo loading and securing procedures, capacities, and stability factors.
- Read draft markings to determine depths of vessels in water.
- Issue certificates of compliance for vessels without violations.
- Write certificates of admeasurement that list details such as designs, lengths, depths, and breadths of vessels, and methods of propulsion.
- Calculate gross and net tonnage, hold capacities, volumes of stored fuel and water, cargo weights, and ship stability factors, using mathematical formulas.
- Post warning signs on vehicles containing explosives or flammable or radioactive materials.
- Measure heights and widths of loads to ensure they will pass over bridges or through tunnels on scheduled routes.
- Time rolls of ships, using stopwatches.
- Determine types of licenses and safety equipment required, and compute applicable fees such as tolls and wharfage fees.
Related Jobs (Freight and Cargo Inspectors)