What do Helpers--Electricians do?
Help electricians by performing duties requiring less skill. Duties include using, supplying or holding materials or tools, and cleaning work area and equipment.
- Measure, cut, and bend wire and conduit, using measuring instruments and hand tools.
- Trace out short circuits in wiring, using test meter.
- Strip insulation from wire ends, using wire stripping pliers, and attach wires to terminals for subsequent soldering.
- Examine electrical units for loose connections and broken insulation and tighten connections, using hand tools.
- Construct controllers and panels, using power drills, drill presses, taps, saws and punches.
- Drill holes and pull or push wiring through openings, using hand and power tools.
- Clean work area and wash parts.
- Maintain tools, vehicles, and equipment and keep parts and supplies in order.
- Transport tools, materials, equipment, and supplies to work site by hand, handtruck, or heavy, motorized truck.
- Install copper-clad ground rods, using a manual post driver.
- Thread conduit ends, connect couplings, and fabricate and secure conduit support brackets, using hand tools.
- Disassemble defective electrical equipment, replace defective or worn parts, and reassemble equipment, using hand tools.
- Erect electrical system components and barricades, and rig scaffolds, hoists, and shoring.
- Perform semi-skilled and unskilled laboring duties related to the installation, maintenance and repair of a wide variety of electrical systems and equipment.
- Dig trenches or holes for installation of conduit or supports.
- Raise, lower, or position equipment, tools, and materials, using hoist, hand line, or block and tackle.
- Break up concrete, using airhammer, to facilitate installation, construction, or repair of equipment.
- Requisition materials, using warehouse requisition or release forms.
- String transmission lines or cables through ducts or conduits, under the ground, through equipment, or to towers.
- Solder electrical connections, using soldering iron.
- Trim trees and clear undergrowth along right-of-way.
- Bolt component parts together to form tower assemblies, using hand tools.
- Operate cutting torches and welding equipment, while working with conduit and metal components to construct devices associated with electrical functions.
- Paint a variety of objects related to electrical functions.
Related Jobs (Helpers--Electricians)