What do Medical Equipment Preparers do?
Prepare, sterilize, install, or clean laboratory or healthcare equipment. May perform routine laboratory tasks and operate or inspect equipment.
- Clean instruments to prepare them for sterilization.
- Operate and maintain steam autoclaves, keeping records of loads completed, items in loads, and maintenance procedures performed.
- Organize and assemble routine or specialty surgical instrument trays or other sterilized supplies, filling special requests as needed.
- Examine equipment to detect leaks, worn or loose parts, or other indications of disrepair.
- Record sterilizer test results.
- Start equipment and observe gauges and equipment operation to detect malfunctions and to ensure equipment is operating to prescribed standards.
- Report defective equipment to appropriate supervisors or staff.
- Stock crash carts or other medical supplies.
- Purge wastes from equipment by connecting equipment to water sources and flushing water through systems.
- Check sterile supplies to ensure that they are not outdated.
- Maintain records of inventory or equipment usage and order medical instruments or supplies when inventory is low.
- Attend hospital in-service programs related to areas of work specialization.
- Disinfect and sterilize equipment such as respirators, hospital beds, or oxygen or dialysis equipment, using sterilizers, aerators, or washers.
- Deliver equipment to specified hospital locations or to patients' residences.
- Install and set up medical equipment, using hand tools.
- Assist hospital staff with patient care duties, such as providing transportation or setting up traction.
Related Jobs (Medical Equipment Preparers)